Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

It is quit sometime since I posted my last Blog. uhhh, was busy with many important things (u can call them turning points) of my life. Number one was my marriage, found a girl by name Meena, I liked her, got the marriage arranged on 2nd of July 2006. Number two was to get-going with my research in a good speed. Both the things kept me busy up until now. After 2.5 months of marriage life, I would say, it is quite interesting. I wonder how god would have thought about such a need for oppositeness in this world. Truly speaking, our interests are completely different.

I love philosophy. She hates to hear even a line of it.
I hate sweets. She cannot live with out sweets even a day.
I like adventure sports. She likes indoor sports (hates adventures in general, asks me to ride my motor cycle at 40kmph in a national highway)
I don’t care much about the nitty-gritty of daily life. She does care a lot.

Truly, I think these differences what spices my life, everyday.

Coming to the subject of this blog, yesterday my wife left to her mother's place for a long-long-weekend. (She wanted a vacation from cooking and house hold activities). Today, I was alone in my home thinking how to spend the Sunday. While I was browsing through the TV channels I found a old movie was going on in Z studio, it was "Guns of Navarone". I started watching it with a hope to switch to next channel during the next ad-break. The movie was good enough to keep me survive all through the advertisements and finally I saw the movie till the end.

You can read more about this movie in this link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054953/

I liked Captain Keith Mallory character of this movie, his courage and command over his team, and the respect and dignity he gets through his words and actions. This movie reminded me of a computer game called Commandos 3D. I have played this game during my college days. It has similar notions and a similar setup. You will be given a team of commandos with specialized skills who have to achieve a given game mission. In the process of achieving the mission, if all your commandos die then you have lost the game, otherwise it is a victory.

This movie is very similar to this game. The objective of the British commandos here is to destroy a gun emplacement in Greek territory (Navarone) under control of Germans. If you like old war movies, you will like this one for sure.

BTW, the place where this movie was shot is currently called Anthony Quinn (Col. Andrea Stavros) Bay after the actor who bought a part of this island in Greece. If you are interested to visit this place after watching the movie, here is a link for you http://www.faliraki-info.com/beaches/anthony/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home