Monday, October 29, 2007

Stunning Startup - Freerice.com

Do you think you will get more than 372E+06 clicks in 3 weeks time, from the date you started a website. I dont think so, unless you are giving away money for free.


Take a look at the website www.freerice.com. I think the reason for their success, is their cause. They have taken one of the most fundamental need for human survival as their cause for the website, "Food". You can donate rice grains to millions of people across the globe, with a couple of clicks a day and by improving a vocabulary. I think they have choosen vocabulary, a perfect tool to attract people. People from all ages and background need vocabulary and would love to improve it.

The website:
The stunning and soothing green interface, with big fonts, is so cool. Especially, their vocabulary level adjustment is amazing. As you get every word right, you donate one grain of rice, and you vocabulary level increases. If you do not get the word right, then your vocabulary level decreases. I think someone has put months of effort to build and test the database and interface (esp. Vocabulary Level algorithm).

I found my vocabulary level was between 30-35 and I must have donated almost 4000+ rice grains from the day I knew this website (Oct 17 2007). Look at the number of grains they have donated (now you will know how I got the number of clicks mentioned in the first line of this blog, though it is just a lower bound and the actual count of clicks might be much much higher).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home